Preparing for an interview means brushing up on the knowledge that you are expected to possess, for answering the technical questions that could be asked. But what to do when the interviewer throws unexpected questions at you?
Most of these questions are standard and conjure similarly typical responses. In fact, if a candidate has plenty of experience interviewing, he or she can probably answer without much thought. But where’s the fun in that?
Now, imagine you are interviewing for that coveted job and you get asked this question- “If you were a pizza delivery person, how would you benefit from scissors?”
Seems bizarre, no! This question is surely going to change the conversation a bit. Suddenly, the candidate is caught off-guard. She’s not sure how to answer, but after a pause, she says, “I suppose I would use scissors the same way anyone else would. I wouldn’t necessarily use it on the job, but I could use it at home to cut things.”
You might be thinking to yourself that this is a weird response and that you haven’t gained much insight into your candidate from this question, but that isn’t true. Weird, unconventional questions like this one allow you to investigate how quick-thinking your candidate is and how well she handles stress. Moreover, it helps you get a glimpse of your candidate’s true personality.
In fact, funny and unexpected questions such as the one discussed above have proven so useful during the interview process that big corporations like Apple and Hess tend to use at least one during their interviews. If you are an interviewer, to provoke a more honest, insightful conversation during your next interview, consider asking one of these weird, unexpected questions. And if you are a job seeker, we can only wish you luck!
Here are 18 most ridiculously bizarre interview questions ever. Read on to find out.
- If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the Apposes office, what type of parade would it be?
- How lucky are you and why?
- If you were a pizza delivery man, how would you benefit from scissors?
- If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be?
- Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
- If you were on an island and could only bring three things, what would you bring?
- If you were a box of cereal, what would you be and why?
- Do you believe in Bigfoot?
- Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?
- What is your least favorite thing about humanity?
- How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in the U.S?
- How honest are you?
- How many square feet of pizza are eaten in the U.S. each year?
- Can you instruct someone how to make an origami ‘cootie catcher’ with just words?
- If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?
- You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?
- How does the internet work?
- If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?