USE OF CAN
To Show ability Power, Capacity
- I can write English.
- Can you lift this box?
- She Can Sing & dance
To Show absence of Power and ability
- He cannot see you.
- She is very busy now.
- The blind cannot see.
- That is his Permanent disability.
To take & give Permission (for younger)
- You can go home now.
- She can take money.
- Can i come in pleases.
- Can she speak for some time?
To show Prohibitition.
- Students cannot smoke inside the class room.
- You cannot travel first class with second class ticket.
To Show request, offer, order, and Possibility.
- Can you pass the book?
- Can I Join your Company?
- Can I carry your bags?
- Can I do something for you?
- You can clean the floor.
- Accidents can happen to anyone.
- Storms Can Come anytime.
USE OF COULD
To Show the ability Power, Capacity (In Past)
- When he was young he could sing very well.
- She could recite the Ramayan when she was five.
- He could read without glass until six months ago.
To Show the ‘Possibility’ and to take Permission.
- Could I rest here for an hour?
- Could I go home now?
- Could I borrow the book for two days?
- He asked if he could attend the meeting.
To Show ‘Polite request’ and ‘ability’
- Could you Show me the way?
- Could you pass the chair?
- Could you tell me the time?
- Could you put out your cigarette Please?
- She was able to recite the Ramayana when she was five.
- They were able to complete the work.